Mairie de Blangy-le-Château - Normandie - Pays d'Auge
Vous êtes ici : Accueil » English » The Church of our Lady Blangy

The Church of our Lady Blangy

The first church was built at the same location in the 11th century: it was smaller than the present church, but was already dedicated to Our Lady. This church was destroyed during the 100 years war.
It was rebuilt between 1450 and 1500. Two-hundred years later, the nave had to be restored.

The bell tower of three floors served as a porch and two side doors allowed the upper class to drive their horse-drawn cars inside in order to enter the Church without getting wet. Each of these openings is framed by two columns with capitals supporting a Gothic arch.

If we enter the church and go to the choir, we find above the altar a listed stained glass dating from the late 15th century. It represents the form of a Tree of Jesse, the genealogy of the Virgin. Two more windows, Angels and Child (from the sixteenth century), are on the right side of the choir, and were restored in 2011.
Beneath the Tree of Jesse, is a group of wooden statues: St Joseph, Mary and the Child Jesus, sculpted by De Brasnu in 1708. Note that we find the same set in the Val de Grâce and the Gloriette in Caen. Two other statues are of St. Martin and St. Sebastian, located above the door of the sacristy. All of these statues, along with the altarpiece, were restored in 1972 and 1975 by the institute of Fine Arts.
On the left, at the entrance to the choir, we find a stone staircase which originally led to a chair, or a Jube. Also on the left is a Crypt, a sort of recess, which served as its name suggests, to deposit the dead. Fragments of coat of arms appear at the top of the wall next to this Crypt.
Let’s take a look at the Flares of Charity adorning the stalls of the choir: they are 14 in number, made of wood  and are carved. The Brotherhood of Charity has existed since the 10th and 11th centuries: they are created for the funeral service in time of plague. As this transfer was done at night, because of contagion, the brothers needed torches for light, thus these present flares. To make sure people stayed away from them, they rang bells called Tintenelles. The brothers also wore a big blouse because of the contagion. The chapperon (an ornate shoulder pad) is all that remains of their outfit today.
The nave was restored in 1960 respecting, as far as possible, the large stone formations that form pillars between the windows. Solid oak benches have replaced the old in poor condition. A statue of the Virgin of the 16th century found a place on the left. On the wall above the door, we can see a wooden crucifix with a life-sized wooden Christ. Near Baptismal Fund, a stone tells of The Sir Jacques Lefèvre Foundation (made in the year 1716), a sum to use to educate the poor children Blangy and Mesnil “for free”.

The Statue of Blessed Monsaint was put in value recently. Thomas Jean Monsaint was pastor at Blangy le Chateau and was executed September 2, 1792 in Paris during the Terror. He was beatified in 1926.