Mairie de Blangy-le-Château - Normandie - Pays d'Auge
Vous êtes ici : Accueil » English » The Castle

The Castle

The castle was built on a mound in the eleventh century. Many mounds were installed right next to springs that fed the ditches and locals directly. Control of a spring gave independence and security.
This is the first Gilbert Crespin, who erected the castle in his barony. It was originally a square wooden tower which was replaced by a stone keep. At the time of the Hundred Years War, in 1346 during the first English invasion, the castle suffered little damange. Then between 1350 and 1370 it was in flames. In 1382 it was freed by Sire Tancarville’s troops who fought alongside Du Guesclin. In 1410, a new British invasion was headed towards Lisieux. They bombed Blangy with cannonballs and the castle was burned again. During the wars of religion, Protestants destroyed what remained of the castle.
After the war, the Village was rebuilt and the stones of the Castle were used repeatedly to rebuild the roads of the municipality. Today the remains of the medieval castle consists of a mound for nearly seven yards high, with two sections of wall on top.
“The twistiness of the ivy enters each shear, paying the hospitalably tower that supports … by smothering “as stated so poetically Sir Gautier (Théophile Gautier! not Jean Marc Gautier our first deputy).
There isn’t much of  a moat left, but the water is still present and you can hear it flow under the bridge at the end of the venelle.

*The Hundred Years War covers a period of one hundred and sixteen years (1337 to 1453).